Around March 1940, the British Government took the decision to send 25 8F to Turkey. These became the TCDD Class 45151.
The 8F were shipped partially broken down, in 23 crates. The biggest component was the assembled frame and cylinders weighting 25T. The ships went by way of the Cape and the Suez Canal and were unloaded at Port Said. This coincided with the German Afrika Korp attacking towards Egypt. Thus the 8F transfer towards Turkey while all the port resources were used to move war supplies for the British Army. This delay was used to prepare the port of Iskenderun to received the 8F as well as 600 wagons that were part of the order. The cranes were overhauled and the port track layout altered. Once in Iskenderun, the locomotives parts were send by train to Sivas for assembly under the supervision of Mr. R.G.Jarvis from the LMS. The Turkish railway men immediately dubbed them 'Churchills'. JPW Rowledge reports in "Heavy Goods Engines of the War" that "for the benefit of the Turkish owners, Derby produced a very comprehensive description and maintenance manual, in English of course".
In the long run, The 8F proved not very suitable for main line work in Turkey. They were not powerful enough to tackle the heavy grades, and lacked "modern" features such as drop grates, which were essential for long distance running. They were soon transferred to local and shunting works throughout the network. The constant state of motive power shortage in Turkey kept them working well into the 1980's.